Every time I went to our powder room the paint colour and light fixture would make me crazy. It’s a run of the mill builder light fixture with the bulbs that remind you of a Hollywood glam prep area, however it was less then glamorous. So it was time for an update but, and that’s a BIG BUT, because we don’t have the funds to be investing in store bought light fixtures. Sad but true. So why not just get creative and see what I could come up with? For a whole $8 ($1.99/ea) my new fixture was created. Not to shabby 😉
Is it glam? No but it is rustic, a little industrial, simple and I’m A – OK with that. Here’s how we made it…and by we I mean I was the brains of the operation and bunches was the help.
This is what it looked like before:
4 IKEA SOCKER Plant pots, galvanized indoor/outdoor (adjust quantity based on your fixture)
Fixture Rings (Our fixture already had these rings for aesthetic purposes I believe)
Tape (painters or masking)
Dremel/Blade (Replace this tool with a drill and appropriate bit to cut metal) we used what we already had to save $$
1. Measure the distance between the top of the fixture to where the top of the bulb outlet begins. In our case it was 1 inch, we decided to add an extra 1/4-inch to our measurement to ensure the pot sat at the height we wanted.
2. Tape all pots to allow for marker to stay in place rather then rubbing off the metal. Note: we taped beside the pot seam to ensure that would be toward the wall.
3. Measure and mark the appropriate place to be cut out using a measuring tape and the fixture rings. (At first we made circles and quickly switched to squares due to using the Dremel tool. If you have a circular metal friendly bit for a drill you can make circles instead.
4. Put your safety glasses on and cut all your pots.
5. Remove bulbs, attach pots, rings and then twist in light bulbs. Note: make sure bulbs are cool…obviously 🙂
And voila there you have an updated fixture for only $8!